Sunday, December 19, 2010

Highlights of 2010- Part III: Let's get paranormal

For the purposes of this post, let’s take ‘paranormal’ to mean ‘non-contemporary’, thus encompassing both paranormal romance and urban fantasy. And sci fi! Though, sadly, there is no sci fi here, because I’m going to refrain from recommending the Hunger Games. THG requires no recommendation from lowly me. It gives out awesome vibes. There are a few titles with sci-fi elements that I’ve enjoyed recently, but none that I’ve reviewed yet (for example, Matched by Allie Condie.)

The Mortal Instruments series and Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

I stumbled upon the Mortal Instruments series earlier this year when I was looking for a book to take with me on my expedition to Mongolia. Four different people had read my copy of City of Bones, the first book in the series, by the time I landed back in London. Cassandra Clare has since been firmly cemented as one of my favourite authors, and her books are my go-to when I’m asked for a recommendation. In the Mortal Instruments series, she brings us an alternate version of New York populated not only by the usual vampires and werewolves, but also by demon-slaying Shadowhunters. In Clockwork Angel, we meet the Shadowhunters in Victorian London. The world building is meticulous, the drama ever-present and the sprinklings of romance are thoroughly absorbing. A must read for any urban fantasy fans!

Buy City of Bones/Clockwork Angel on Amazon
Find City of Bones/Clockwork Angel on Goodreads
Buy City of Bones/Clockwork Angel on Book Depository
Read my review of City of Bones/Clockwork Angel



Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow

I’ve been a huge fan of Lili St. Crow ever since I started following The Deadline Dames, a blog written by various urban fantasy authors, including St. Crow. Her no-nonsense attitude comes across perfectly in her young adult series, which follows Dru Anderson through a world populated by various, mostly evil, supernatural creatures. What I love most about Lili St. Crow’s writing is that her characters are perfectly flawed and very real to me—she isn’t afraid to blast apart your happy image of a love interest by repeatedly mentioning his mono brow. And that, in my opinion, is exactly the way it should be.

Buy it on Amazon
Find it on Goodreads
Buy it on Book Depository (free international shipping!)
Read my review






Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

I held off from reading this series for a long time, sure that it was going to be another Twilight spinoff. It’s fast become my favourite guilty pleasure! The books are told from the viewpoint of Rose, best friend and bodyguard to Lissa, an orphaned vampire princess. There’s action, drama, romance and a healthy dose of girl power—one of the things I liked most is that we’re not living the story through the eyes of the princess for once! It also features great world building in the form of a highly structured and unique vampire society.

Buy it on Amazon
Find it on Goodreads
Buy it on Book Depository (free international shipping!)
Read my review







White Cat by Holly Black

No one does dark like Holly Black. In White Cat, she tells the story of Cassel, the only unendowed member of a family who all possess the power to do 'curse work', and usually use for evil. Cassel's not your average 'good guy'- even though he can't 'work' anyone, he's still a conman in a world where people are murdered and manipulated, even by their own family members! The world building and character growth are both fantastic, and it ended with a bang that's made the sequel, Red Glove, top of my 2011 reading list. 

Buy it on Amazon
Find it on Goodreads
Buy it on Book Depository
Read my review
Watch the book trailer






Thus ends my Highlights of 2010 series- hope it gave everyone some holiday gift ideas. See you next year for the 2011 installment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails