Friday, December 31, 2010

Review: An Abundance of Katherines- John Green

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.
On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl.
Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself by Printz medalist John Green, acclaimed author of Looking for Alaska.



I can't tell you how long I've wanted to read this-- I first learned about John Green about two years ago, but I hadn't read any of his books until two weeks ago. An Abundance of Katherines was a great place to start. My inner geek took an instant liking to the math angle (even though I'm more of a bio geek myself) and that ended up being one of my favorite parts of the book.

What I didn't realize before I started reading this (I had somehow forgotten the summary and just saw the title and bought it) was that it was going to be a funny book- but it was, and it was hilarious. Although some of their stunts and crude humor made me shake my head at their obvious possession of a y-chromosome each, Colin and Hassan's constant silliness kept me snickering way past my bedtime.

In essence, An Abundance of Katherines is a fun-filled coming of age story that brings something unique to the table. I'm looking forward to reading more from John Green- any ideas on where to start?

1 comment:

  1. After reading (or actually listening to it) Paper Towns by Green this year I have to say that he is an amazing writer and I really hope to read more by him this year.

    I was aware that another book by Green Looking for Alaska but not this one. Based on your review though, I am now definitely hyped to read it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails