Thursday, March 11, 2010

How to order your own birthday cake. (AKA observe the ten inch monster)

It seems like as you get older, you have to do more things for yourself. For example, this year I ordered my own birthday cake.

(To be fair, my parents offered, but this way I got purple glitter. It was a win-win situation.)

So, I asked around for a nice place for cake, and a friend referred me to the Hummingbird bakery. Bingo! They had chocolate cake and a location near where we were staying on my birthday weekend, so it was perfect. Then came the time to actually order the thing.
Now, I don't know about you, but when I think of a ten inch cake, I think ten inches across. Part of my extended family was at the event so I thought, 'what the heck, I'll get us a ten inch cake. We'll eat it no problem.'

Turns out that Hummingbird do things a little differently. My cake was ten inches tall.

Needless to say, we didn't eat it all, even with four men at the table. (My father's newly implemented and extremely impressive healthy eating regime might have had something to do with that.) The poor waitress even had trouble slicing the thing.

It was, however, extremely delicious, especially the butter cream icing. If you ever get the chance to sample a slice when you're in London... I thoroughly recommend it.

Now for some photos of this monster- sorry for the smudged name, but a girl's got to have some privacy! ;)


IMG_0356

Observe the purple glitter!


IMG_0357


For more information on Hummingbird's delicious array of cakes, (and I've been informed that they do a pretty mean red velvet cupcake) click here.

3 comments:

  1. You have such an interesting blog here. I think it may be because you sound like a really interesting person. :D I'm following!
    (Awesome cake pictures. I'm sad my birthday isn't until September!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the follow :) Ah, well, at least in the US you have Betty Crocker which is, IMHO, better than pretty much anything storebought. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was ten inches TALL??
    NICE ONE. hahahaha ooh i wish i'd been there...
    (the red velvet is awesome, as is the carrot cake... you should try it)
    LOVING the purple glitter

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails