Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Adult section updates!

I'll admit that for someone who's closer in age to adult than pre-teen, I read far more books in the latter rather than the former category. It's a sad situation, but it means that the books I do read in the adult department are pretty darned good.

Adult

1. Soulless, by Gail Carriger
2. Blood Matters, by Masha Gessen

I happened upon 'Soulless' in a rather unusual way, though I'm sure one that agents would prefer happened more often. I'm a huge fan of Kristin Nelson's blog, Pub Rants, and she just happens to be Gail Carriger's literary agent. After all the (positive) fuss that was made about the book (and I admit to being swayed by the awesome cover) I bought it on Amazon and read it cover to cover, splitting my sides laughing the whole time. It's a great steampunk/urban fantasy mix, and if you're into that kind of thing you'll probably love it.

Plus, Ms. Carriger also happens to be very nice. She replied to my message with a really lovely email, which only solidified the impression her author bio had given me- of her being a very cool person. :)

'Blood Matters' is something I've been wanting to put up for a while. As a gene nut, I love reading anything vaguely related to genetics, and it was this book that really swayed me towards my love of the human side, rather than evolution, etc. Masha Gessen deals with everything from Jewish teenagers in New York getting tested for inherited conditions to people having parts of their intestines removed to prevent cancer. A definite must read!

So... check 'em out, right here: http://booksbya-k.webs.com

Lale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails